Pages

Sunday, April 24, 2016

Crispy Oven Baked Chicken Wings

I love fried chicken wings. Nothing is better, especially during events with family and friends, than delicious wings in a variety of coatings and flavorings. What I do not love is the frying process that comes along with making them. Let's face it; frying anything in oil is a difficult and long process. I hate waiting for the oil to cool down in order to dispose of it and, by the way, how do you get rid of used cooking oil anyway? No way am I clogging up my pipes, and I feel so guilty for throwing it in the trash.

I longed for a recipe to get the same results of fried chicken without frying that would also get rid of the dreadful process that deep frying involves. I recently found a recipe that results in a delicious crispy wing in the oven and the secret ingredient to make these crispy wings is baking powder! who knew?

What you'll need:
2lbs of chicken wings cut into wings and drumsticks 
2 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tbsp kosher salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp smoked paprika
your favorite sauce to coat the wings (optional)

1. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.

2. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and
place a oven proof wire rack over the foil

3. In a large bowl add 2lbs of thawed chicken
wings.

4. In a separate smaller bowl, whisk together baking powder, kosher salt, black pepper, and smoked paprika.

5. Sprinkle 1/2 of the baking soda mixture over the chicken and toss to coat.

6. Sprinkle the other 1/2 of the baking soda
mixture over the chicken and do a final toss.

7. Transfer the coated chicken to your prepared
baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes.

8. Flip the wings and continue baking for another 15-20 minutes. Flip the wings  for another 15 minutes or until brown and crispy.

9. Transfer your wings to a bowl and prep your sauce mixture. Pour on your sauce and enjoy.


Super delicious alone or with sauce
I used equal parts of honey and sriracha for my wings

7 comments:

  1. You are going to change watching football for many people with this kind of info! Excellent recipe to try -- could also save time in the kitchen with cleanup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look so good and not too difficult to make for the cooking novice like myself. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, those look delicious! The Tigers game I'm watching right now would be so much better with a plate of those wings and they're healthier than the fried version!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is certainly a great way to make friends. I might have to invite you over to make those. they look amazing and I just ate dinner. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great step by step instructions and visuals. This is definitely something I can relate to. I love wings and I do mean it. I probably go out to Buffalo Wild Wings 2-3 times per week. I have never considered making this at home but I think this is something I would like to try. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that this in an alternative solution to the typical fried chicken method. Getting the same crispy texture that everyone craves, while avoiding the unhealthy frying in oil concept is great. The end result looks delicious as well. I definitely need to try this.

    ReplyDelete